Thursday, October 1, 2009

My First Post


Welcome to my blog and to my first post. It is because of my husband's encouragement that you are reading the words here today. For two years my husband has been encouraging me to start a blog to journal my thoughts and events from our lives. I finally decided to create my blog, but for a year and a half I did nothing for myself, but did help my children start their own blogs (see sidebar). A few months ago, I came home and shared a message that was given at our church's ladies tea with my husband. My husband said, "You really should share what you are learning with others. You can encourage them the way you are being encouraged." On that very day, I determined to start my blog, but after thinking and thinking I just couldn't come up with the "perfect" blog name. After several months of agonizing myself with the process of choosing a name, at long last, I came up with "My High Calling." I love it because it truly embodies my Biblical purpose as a child of God, lived out through my significant roles as wife (help meet,) mother and keeper at home.

Let me give you some background that will help you understand me, my blog and it's purpose:

Our home school journey began approximately 6 years ago. After moving to a new city, we found that the Christian schools in that area were not as affordable or as conservative compared to the Christian schools my children had attended in the city where we had moved from. We decided to home school. Our decision was probably based more on financial reasons and convenience, being that I had just given birth to our third child. Yet even so, I can clearly see that it was the Lord who was using our circumstances to turn our hearts toward Him and our children. A year prior to this decision, we had also made another major decision; that I would return home after 2 years of working full time out of the home.

That very same year, my husband I began to learn many things that were new to us about the Biblical family. We were impacted by what we were learning and began to change many areas in our lives.

During that time of change, my husband invited a family over to dinner. He had met the husband at a Father and Son Retreat and invited him to have dinner at our home the following day the retreat ended. We casually knew this man, his wife and children from a church we had visited a couple of years before. That night we learned that they had homeschooled for many years and they shared some insightful Biblical concepts with us. The wife gave me a list of helpful websites and many wonderful ideas. Soon after, this family moved to another state and we lost contact with them, but that meeting greatly encouraged us and led us to valuable resources that were life changing.

To Be Continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment